Coronavirus (Covid-19) has spread throughout the United States and much of the world. In response, many people have self-quarantined in order to flatten the curve by practicing social distancing.
Being home 24/7 has many perks and also many challenges, so I’ve put together this A-Z guide full of tips and tricks to help you survive the coronavirus quarantine. You’ll find everything from DIY hand sanitizer recipes, to free remote tools, and entertainment ideas to help you prepare and thrive.
Stay Healthy During the Quarantine
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) – Get the latest updates and facts.
- In case you weren’t able to buy hand sanitizer, Travel + Leisure has you covered with an easy DIY recipe.
Prepping For The Quarantine
- Ready.gov has the complete guide if you’re looking to build an emergency kit.
- 15 items you should have in your at-home emergency kit via Business Insider
- Building an emergency stockpile via Money Talks News
- Emergency Preparedness for Senior Citizens. Elders in your family have special needs, this blog outlines everything you should think about and prepare for in an emergency situation.
Cooking During the Quarantine
- Quarantine recipes via News-Press
- Quarantine Lockdown Munchies via Sam The Cooking Guy
- Quarantine Cooking tips and recipes from famous Chefs.
- Foods to stockpile during an emergency via Real Simple.
Staying Active at Home During Coivid-19 Quarantine
- Working from home sounds great, but it can lead to less physical activity, Sun Life offers a guide on How to Stay Active When Working from Home
- Camp Gladiator is enabling bold members to hustle from home. Trainers all over the country will be offering virtual workouts for via Facebook LIVE during peak times: 5 am ct, 8 am CT, and 5:30 pm CT from Monday too Friday, and 8 am CT on Saturday. ***note*** it appears that anyone can access the replay of workouts directly from Camp Gladiator’s Facebook page.
- Well + Good has a comprehensive list of companies offering online workouts. Most are free to stream or come with a free trial!
- My lovely friend Jill is a Barre3 instructor and you can use her code SANE to get $10 off your first month. The studio offers online classes that will help you stay fit through quarantine.
Quarantine Working From Home Tips & Tools
- Many tech companies like Box, Cisco, Cloudflare, Google, and Microsoft are offering free remote working tools to keep teams connected and productive.
- Productivity tips via Hubspot
- More work from home productivity tips via Forbes
Quarantine Home Entertainment & Learning Resources
- Your kids can now watch an astronaut read a book to them from space!
- KVUE’s Albert Ramon will be hosting Albert’s Weather Classroom live on their Facebook page every day until April 3, 2020, at 12 pm CDT.
- Scholastic is releasing free courses for kids PreK through grades 6 + via their new Learn From Home website.
- Mental Floss has a list of 12 world-class museums all over the world that you can take a virtual tour of online from the comfort of your own home.
- You can now explore 31 National parks from the comfort of your home thanks to Google Earth.
- Virtually travel to one of the over 300 points of interest, museums, and exhibits.
- The Houston Zoo is bringing the animals to your home every weekday via their Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages. Tune in at 11 am CST.
- Visit the Georgia Aquarium via their live cams. You can see Otters, Puffins, Beluga Whale, and more!
- Explore over 1,200 museums in 70 countries, plus natural wonders and famous buildings and landmarks via Google Arts & Culture for desktop and mobile.
- Virtual Tours: Famous Landmarks and National Parks of Wyoming. See everything from Old Faithful to Mammoth Hot Springs!
Streamed Concerts, Movies & Shows
- Luck Reunion must go on! Willie Nelson, Nathaniel Rateliff, Paul Simon and more will play on March 19 at 6 pm for free. Watch it via Luck Reunion’s website, Facebook, and Twitch channels.
- Universal Pictures is releasing movies such as Trolls World Tour, Emma, and The Invisible Man on demand.
- You can stream nightly Operas for free thanks to The Metropolitan Opera.
- 97.1FM will be hosting ACL live concerts by Shakey Graves, Bob Sneider, Jackie Venson and more!
Digital Books, Courses, and Media
- The New York Public Library is offering 300,000 downloadable books for free via their free e-reader app SimpleE.
- NASA has given digital access to their entire media library. You can browse photos, videos and hear sounds from space.
- Clever Girl Finance has just made all of her resources and money-centric, digital courses FREE!
- The Science of Wellbeing via Yale University.
Coronavirus Community Heroes
If you’re in Austin, Texas the following companies are really stepping up to provide aid and service to the entire community and I am virtually applauding them.
- HEB: The Texas-based grocery mega-chain is donating $3 million to food banks and other organizations to help those most affected by the coronavirus. They offering laid off artists, service industry folks, aND anyone looking for work temporary jobs.
- Amazon: To meet pandemic shipment demands the retailer is looking to hire 100,000 warehouse and delivery workers.
- Crema Bakery and Cafe: Families in need can get a free brown bag lunch thanks to this south Austin restaurant.
- TSO Chinese Delivery: The Chinese restaurant is now offering free meals for families in need as part of their #TSOGiving campaign. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Tell Me Everything!
How are you staying healthy during this time? How are you entertaining yourself and/or your family? What resources would you add to this list?